Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 2: First Day of School (on a Sunday!)


Today, I went downstairs in the hotel for breakfast, and I could barely tell what any of the food was.  I was by myself, and one of the waiters must've felt bad for me, because he handed me a plate and walked me around--pointing out what he thought I'd like.  It was funny and embarrassing.  Then, Tim and I walked to the school.  The traffic is ridiculous here--it's like a warzone when you're trying to cross the street.  There are electric scooters everywhere.  I had to give a little speech at the school, and Tim told me that all the teachers and principals kept saying how young I was.  And tall.  And pretty.  It's a little intense the way people stare.  I hope I'm not too conceited when I get back after all this!  :)  We took a tour of the school, and I sat in for a while in an English class.  Two of our students were in there, too, and the teacher actually asked one of my male students to look at all the girls and tell the class which one he thought was prettiest.  Poor kid!  He was so embarrassed!  Luckily, he just said they were all pretty.  Good answer! 
Tim and I left to come back to the hotel at about 10:30, and I asked him to help me buy some food.  Of course, Iike a dumb American, I went to McDonald's and got a cheeseburger and fries. Tasted exactly the same.  When I walked in, the girl behind the counter slapped a picture menu on the counter and gestured for me to point at what I wanted.  It was, again, funny and awkward. 
 As for Diet Coke.It does not exist here!Even when it says "Diet Coke" on the menu, it is "Coke Light." I know that Mexican Coke Light has sugar in it, and I swear this one does, too, although the can says it doesn't. It tastes like Coke Classic. Maybe it's Coke Zero.WHATEVER it is, I don't like it.I've had a lot of water.I feel very dehydrated.

I came back to the hotel, ate my McDonald's, and then the maid knocked on my door.  I have no idea what she was trying to tell me, but she kept pointing at her uniform, and then she came in and looked in one of the drawers.  I think she left something.  Then, I tried to ask her how to turn on the TV.  Well, she couldn't do it, either, so she brought in the Great Helmsman of the Tianping Hotel (he really did look a little like Mao), and he not only gave me a full tutorial in English, but he hooked up my computer to the internet.  Luckily, you don't tip here. Otherwise, after all the help they gave me, I'd be broke from tipping.  I have been able to mumble "xie xie" quite a bit.  I find that whenever you don't know what to say, you can just say that or "dui."

Later, the teachers are coming to the hotel for a banquet.  No kids--just the teachers, Tim, and me.  It's at 5:30, so I'm hoping to make an early night of it tonight.  Tomorrow morning, we go back to the school and then on the Huangpu River Cruise (which the teachers keep calling a "cruiser, " as in--tomorrow, we're taking a cruiser.)  Now, I'm going to watch CNN and take a little nap.  I wonder if I won the Mega Millions??

No comments:

Post a Comment